If you were injured at work in Ashton or anywhere else in Virginia, you have certain rights under the Workers’ Compensation Act. All employers in Virginia are required to have insurance for their workers, and in return, workers cannot directly sue their employers. Winning a workers’ compensation claim won’t be easy, because insurance companies have their ways and means. Working with Ashburn injured on the job lawyers can help your case immensely. Here are some key aspects to remember.
- As an injured employee, you are required to inform your employer of your injury, and while this should be done at the earliest, the deadline is 30 days. You need properly notify your employer.
- Virginia Workers’ Comp is a no-fault system, which means you don’t have to prove the negligence of your employer. Even if you were to blame for the incident, you could still cover workers’ compensation benefits.
- When you file a workers’ comp claim, you can recover a financial settlement that will help cover your medical expenses and additional treatments, as needed. Also, you can also recover a considerable part of your lost wages.
What can a workers’ compensation lawyer do for you?
The workers’ compensation system can be hard to understand. Even if your claim was denied, you have certain rights and can appeal against the decision. Your attorney can help you recover the benefits you are entitled to. They can –
- Prove how your injuries are related to the job you do.
- Evaluate the worth of your workers’ compensation claim.
- Help you take steps against an employer who refuses to report the incident.
- Help you pursue legal measures if your employer retaliates against you.
- Negotiate the settlement on your behalf.
- Help and represent you in a workers’ compensation appeal.
Insurance companies are not on your side
People often assume that insurance companies will give them a fair deal when they file a claim, but that rarely happens. The claims adjuster would want to deny your claim on the grounds that are often unethical. Get an attorney on your side because they can negotiate better. They can also gather evidence to support your claim, and more importantly, they can spot insurance tactics and take additional steps when needed.
An on-the-job injury can leave you with serious losses and complications. Don’t wait to report your injury, and always call a local workers’ compensation lawyer in Ashburn to know the worth of your claim.